Pages

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Feed Your System: Food

What you eat is a big part of who you are. When we are children, we have certain taste preferences, but over time, those change. I know I asked my 6-year-old what she wanted to have at her birthday party, and she said organic yogurt and celery. Imagine a teenager asking for that! So, what happens that makes us change the way we feel about food?

I think we get conditioned from what we learn and experience over time. What your parents repeatedly feed you, what your parents ate, what you ate at a friends house while visiting, what you ate at school, in college, at restaurants, what you saw people eating on TV or in magazines, the commercials you watch, the messages from "experts", and other unmentioned sources are all that we know about food.

There has come a point in my adult life where I realized that the things that I decided to eat had a big impact on my mental, physical, and spiritual health as well as a profound effect on my community. Everytime you spend a dollar towards what you are going to eat, you vote on how your food should be grown, packaged, and prepared. Making the right choices is a learning process, and every bit of progress is better than none at all. Food, Inc. is a great movie that may help shed some light on this tragically ignored crisis that is happening in America and around the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment